Wilson wrote:
> David doesn't like it because he can't get it to work with his
> archaic messaging board.

Totally untrue ... I dislike Domino for email because it doesn't appear
to follow the RFC standards that modern email applications are supposed
to abide by.

Mailman is far from archaic ... it's quite modern and flexible.  It can
cope with a wide range of mail servers and clients ... so long as those
clients play by the same rules.  Most servers & clients do.  Domino has
some deficiencies in that area.

> David, for the record, ENDDOMSVR < PWRDWNSYS(*IMMED). Don't even
> imply that in order to restart Domino you have to shut off your
> iSeries.

Yes ... and that shuts down everything else your domino server is doing.

What I am talking about is isolating the email function from the rest of
your infrastructure because it is far more vulnerable to external
influence / attack.

For the record ... I also would not advocate running your mail server on
a linux partition of the iSeries.  The server is not isolated enough
from your mission critical systems.

> From the way this thread is going, the suggestions have been to find
> an old clunky pc, install Linux and some open-sores email software
> and call it a day. yeah right

Nothing is as simple as that ... and you know it.

> how is that going to get backed up? oh now you need to find backup
> hardware and software. What, I can't use my DLT? Sorry no good drives
> for that old clunky pc you got there. What happens when the disk
> crashes and he's offsite? What, you didn't install RAID?? Sorry, you
> lost everything, lets start over. And next time be sure to pick up a
> UPS. Oh, I forgot maybe we may want to mirror that someday. So what
> happens when the consultant is gone, who's the customer gonna call
> when something breaks? No OS support, no hardware support, oh sorry
> didn't buy the overpriced open-source

Ok ... you obviously are against open source software ... I can live
with that.  We'll just have to agree to disagree on that topic.

The same arguments you make, however, apply to ANY SYSTEM IN THE WORLD.
 If you don't provide the necessary infrastructure, you probably end up
dead in the water.  As most people know, there are two types of systems
in the world ... those that have failed ... and those that will fail.

As a side note ... there's absolutely no reason you can't have the linux
system running with it's core file systems mounted via NFS *FROM THE
ISERIES*.  That way you have solid backup and failure protection at all
times.  Properly setup, the linux system could be as transportable as a
bootable CDROM that has enough kernel code on it to boot up, start
networking, and mount the necessary file systems.

> Have you ever used Domino on iSeries??

A little ... not much.  I'm not a big fan of the interface.

I'm not saying Domino doesn't have good uses ... I know a number of very
large organizations that use it heavily and are quite satisfied with
it.  I just think it's not the best choice as an email system.

david