I brought this to IBM's attention last year -- they insist the program is
working as expected. I would disagree, but that is their position. I was
told that I should RTVCLSRC on QMNSAVE and add the monmsg myself! So that is
why the first item in the installation guide says the following:

"If you are using GO SAVE option 21 (Save Entire System) in an unattended
operation, we
recommend you follow the procedures listed in step 10 of IBM's GO SAVE
checklist. You can find the checklist documented on IBM's Infocenter at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/ic2924/info/rzaiu/rzai
urzaiu2tv.htm. If the link is not found then go to the V5R3 Infocenter and
search for CPA3708. Or, if one wants to follow links, use Systems
management-> Backup and Recovery->Back up your server > Save your server
with the GO SAVE command > View entire GO SAVE checklist."

If you follow that link, then look at step 10, you will see their solution:

"To perform an unattended save operation, continue with the following steps.
An unattended save operation prevents your save operation from stopping
because of unanswered messages:
Display the reply list sequence numbers to find what numbers are available
for use:
WRKRPYLE
If MSGID(CPA3708) is not already in your reply list, add it. For xxxx,
substitute an unused sequence number from 1 through 9999:
ADDRPYLE SEQNBR(xxxx) +
         MSGID(CPA3708) +
         RPY('G')
If you are using virtual optical for your save media, specify automatic load
in the reply list, MSGID(OPT149F), to avoid receiving a message that
interrupts the unattended save. If necessary, virtual optical will use the
autoload feature to create additional images with the same capacity as the
last image you loaded, provided the disk storage is available.
Change your job to use the reply list and to notify you of any break
messages that are sent:
CHGJOB INQMSGRPY(*SYSRPYL) BRKMSG(*NOTIFY)
Note:
You can also set up a default so that whenever you select menu options 21,
22, or 23, the server will always use the reply list. To set up the default,
select menu option 20 from the Save menu. Specify Yes on the Use system
reply list option."

I have always seen CPA3708 as the error message, not CPF3837, can you
confirm it is CPF3837? If so then perhaps I can finally get them to add a
monmsg to option 21 (or maybe they will just update their documentation, who
knows). In either case if it is CPF3837 then at the very least we can update
our docs.