I recently learned that with V5R3 IBM introduced implicit casting in SQL.
For example, now you can do WHERE JOBNUMBER = 123456 and system will
implicitly cast it to CHAR[6], which is data type of JOBNUMBER field.
Notice that WHERE clause didn't use apostrophes to delimit 123456 value.

Could that be what's going on in Peter's case?

Elvis