On the Monday following an IPL we get a large spike in printer issues,
predominately due to inactive writers. We use CLI brand ET2000, ET4000,
and ET4500 as our thin client device.
Our normal procedure has been to educate the user to turn off the
printer and CLI and then bring them back up. Doing this will vary the
device *ON and start the writer. The process works only if the user
remembers. We do use placards with instructions, but they are typically
overlooked.

I tried to automate the process.

I contacted Computer Labs (CLI) and they suggested:

1. Change the sequence of my IPL. This will notify any Telnet devices
that an IPL is imminent and to expect a break in communication.

end QINTER
end TCPIP (or at least the Telnet server)
end QCMN

2. Set each CLI box to retry the connection after a set period of time.
I used the maximum- 30 minutes during a test.

        The CLI will retry connection 30 minutes after loss of
connection. Computer Labs didn't clarify how many times it will retry.

The end result was no different than before. I used over 20 devices for
the test.

Note:
We do keep the system in a restricted state for about 2 hours after an
IPL. I'm not sure if this would cause a problem.

Has anyone successfully won this skirmish?

Thank you for your time.

Brian Pfleghaar
IT Support
General Cable Corporation