<Here's the question: if I copy a file onto the IFS, then add it to an
image catalog, can I delete it from the IFS before applying the image?
I don't have a ton of extra space, so this would allow me to add a lot
more images to the catalog before running the thing.>
If you are using the binary file you ftp'ed down then remember to use the
ADDIMGCLGE TOFILE(*fromfile).  This will only put one copy of the file in
your IFS.  However QFileSvr.400 does not like *fromfile, but that doesn't
apply in your situation.

<And can I add, say, multiple group PTFs to one image?  Or should I just
bite the bullet and add the cume, and then add the PTF for WebSphere
(which pretty much adds everything else), then finally the Hipers.  >
I always download my groups as one big chunk.  I get several bin files
that I add individually as ADDIMGCLGE.  However I seem to recall that IBM
is discouraging you for some reason.  Another approach I do is create
multiple image catalogs.
md '/fixes'
md '/fixes/cume'
md '/fixes/SF99529'
md '/fixes/SF99269'
CRTIMGCLG IMGCLG(CUME) DIR('/fixes/cume')
CRTIMGCLG IMGCLG(SF99529) DIR('/fixes/SF99529')
CRTIMGCLG IMGCLG(SF99269) DIR('/fixes/SF99269')
Then you just run multiple
LODIMGCLG IMGCLG(CUME) DEV(OPTVRT01) OPTION(*LOAD)
GO PTF, Option 8, no ipl
LODIMGCLG IMGCLG(CUME) DEV(OPTVRT01) OPTION(*UNLOAD)
LODIMGCLG IMGCLG(SF99529) DEV(OPTVRT01) OPTION(*LOAD)
GO PTF, Option 8, no ipl
LODIMGCLG IMGCLG(SF99529) DEV(OPTVRT01) OPTION(*UNLOAD)