I have to develop a new application in RPG. Output of this application
will have text and grapics, and will be send to printer, IFS, email and
fax. Using Infoprint 5722IP1 licensed program will probably not be an
option.
For email we are using Giovanni Perotti's MMAIL, and our faxsolution is
Hylafax, located on a linuxbox.

Generating PostScript works very nicely, the downside to it is that you have to generate PostScript. :)

What I mean by that is that the iSeries doesn't support PostScript, so you won't be able to create a nice graphical document with DDS via CODE Designer (or whatever) and then write it out as PostScript. That won't work (at least not easily... there are APIs that convert AFPDS to PostScript, but they're slow and don't work very well, IMHO)

Obviously, it requires more work to write PostScript directly. The nice thing is, PostScript is a text format, so you could potentially use something like CGIDEV2 to create "externally defined" PostScript files. Indeed, it's relatively easy to design your document in Word or OpenOffice, print the result as a PostScript document (using a PostScript printer driver, if necesary) and then insert variables into the resulting file.

Once you have the document in PostScript, you'll want ot translate it into other formats for other output devices:

a) There's open source software called Ghostscript that will convert from PostScript a million other formats, including PDF and PCL. It doesn't run natively on the iSeries, but Ghostscript will run under PASE. Alternately, you could run it on your Linux box, and do the conversions there.

For very large documents, this might not be practical. If you need to print large documents, I suggest getting a printer that supports PostScript -- they're easy to find, and relatively cheap.

In my experience, the Postscript to PDF translation is nearly perfect.

b) Hylafax understands PostScript natively, so you should have no problem with that.

c) Outputting AFPDS from PostScript is something I've never done, and I
don't know how possible this is.

What will be the best document formatting language to create the first
(main) output of an application that can be converted to other formats
_on the iSeries itselves_ ? APFDS, Postscript, PCL, HTML or other?

The other thing you might consider is XML. It's becoming more and more of a standard for this sort of thing. Your program writes out XML data, and that data can then be transformed into any other format.

For example, the socket and IFS tutorials on my web site were written in Docbook (which is an XML language). I can transform the docbook into HTML, PDF, RTF, TeX, PostScript, and many other formats by running it through the appropriate formatting program.

At this point in time,I find PostScript to be a better choice. I find it easier to make it work. However, I think XML is probably the way things will go in the future. It's something to think about.