On 10/19/05, qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx <qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >   7. Re: Re: TV Ad (I'm the man) (Steve Richter)
> >
> >On 10/18/05, qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx <qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> Without knowing something about why you were told CL was preferred, it's
> >> hard >to say a lot.
> >
> >75% of the work is done in very portable sql procedures.  Some of the
> >crazy Russian emigres in the shop modified the RUNSQLSTM command to
> >run an sql statement as a variable passed to a CL command.  So they
> >run a lot of SQL from CL.  They dont know RPG, esp RPG FREE and there
> >is no good reason for them to learn it.
>
> Steve:
>
> Given this as a fundamental element of the app, I'd have to disagree and say
> that this is a very specific and good reason for them to learn RPG. Or C or
> COBOL, whatever. This is essentially equivalent to saying that there's no
> good reason to learn anything but Windows command language and SQL on a PC or
> the command/scripting language and SQL on a Unix system or any single
> lenguage and SQL.

it is a mixed shop.  a few RPG programmers, a few COBOL programmers,
then analysts who code to one degree or another in SQL procedures.
What we all have in common is we have been instructed to code in SQL
whenever possible.  And SQL procedure code, the kind that is compiled
as a specific by the C compiler, functions with few restrictions as a
HLL.  The terrific advantage of SQL procedures is the code is portable
to any SQL platform - Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, MySQL.

I have been impressed by what I have seen this shop doing with SQL.
There is so much work that has to be done and so many other factors
having to do with a large shop ( adhering to @#$ turnover for
instance ) that it works well for them to limit their use of
languages.

-Steve