OS/400 getting more and more like Windows (and I don't mean that as a
compliment).

I was unpleasantly surprised today to find one of our V5R3 systems with a
message CPIEF1D on QSYSOPR stating that it had automatically downloaded PTF
SI18318 and it wanted me to apply it.

Reading the cover letter, it looked harmless enough, just some stuff for
Management Central. When I did LODPTF from *SERVICE, I got about a dozen PTFs
for 5722SS1, and a bunch of sup'd PTFs were applied permanently. i was not
expecting all that. Then I decided there may be coreqs for other products and
LIC, so I went back and used GO PTF Opt 8 from *SERVICE. Sure enough, there
were like 20 PTFs.

A search of QHST revealed that it has been downloading PTFs for some time. We
keep 5 weeks of QSHT and there were 9 CPIEF1D messages in that time.

The last thing I need is OS/400 downloading PTFs automatically. I really
wouldn't mind it phoning home about hardware failures, but getting unexpected
PTFs is not acceptable.

In my search for a way to turn this unwelcome helper off, I finally located it
in Mgmt Central/Extreme Support/Agents. However, I could find no way to turn it
off, only to display that it is enabled.

After more searching, including the slower-and-worse-than-ever V5R3 Info
Center, I located a doc that lead me to GO SERVICE, where I was very pleased to
find an attribute to disable Service Agent. Unfortunately, after setting it to
ENABLE(*NO), iSeries Navigator still shows that it is enabled.

Anybody know how to turn this (*&^#$! thing off? I see neither a LICPGM or any
option that I can uninstall. Is this part of 5722-PT1, by chance?

Thanks,
-Marty