From: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Date: 10/06/05 11:50:56
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Trend towards platform specific languages

Ok...while I sit here twiddling my thumbs waiting for a java-based website
to open...(can you say IBM?)... I can't help but wonder if we are eventually
going to see the pendulum swing back and the current fad of making
everything non-platform specific will thankfully and hopefully die and
instead we'll move back to writing code using whatever language runs best
(fastest, cleaner and more stable) on whatever O/S and hardware it's
designed for.

If it's on an iSeries, let it be RPG or Cobol.  If it?s on a Windows machine
 let it be .Net.  If it's on a unix box...send it back and buy an iSeries.

I have to ask....WHY?!? Is it so critical that every application be platform
agnostic?  What kind of goofy logic is this that we've all bought into the
last few years?  We allow ourselves to sacrifice performance and
productivity (and experience) because someone has convinced us that our
order entry app should run equally well on an iSeries AND! A toaster?!?

Maybe i'm having a bad day but here I am 3 minutes later and my page on ibm
s site hasjust now opened (and i'm on a T1 line today) and this
eclipse/java/Websphere bandwagon seems somewhat luducrous to me at the
moment.