Yes, it is a CL program . . . you can compile it to whereever you'd like it
to reside (hopefully not QSYS).  Then you would submit the job and it would
look at the messages that appear in the message queue referenced by system
value QUPSMSGQ (the example uses message queue UPSMSGQ in library UTILITY)
and take the appropriate action.

HTH,

Steve