One additional remarks:

Having variables defined as &a or &A makes a difference:

using &a will always prompt for user input, even in queries running in batch
(job is in MSGW).
using &A will allow you to pass parameters in batch programmes or interactively
without prompting; of course the values have to be passed to the query in their
proper format (character parms within double single quotes), otherwise the
"prompt" will display.

Hence, always define the variables in upper case.

Regards,
Carel Teijgeler