Subject: RE: Burning V5R3 CD image files (was i5 backup options without tape)
From: "Wilt, Charles" <CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:20:48 -0400

Marty,

The UDF format allows the virtual CD to be directly writable/re-writable.

You can't change the virtual CD to any other format.

Following the Wiki link I gave, you'll see that UDF is also used for other
devices.  You may also use some version of it on you PC with your CD burner.
For example, my home PC has an InCD driver installed which allows me to use
DVD-RW and CD-RW as big floppy disks, that "packet writing" is what UDF is all
about.

Sounds like Win2k might not able to handle the version of UDF that IBM uses.
According to MS, Win2k should be able to read v1.02 and v1.50 UDF.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/prork/prdf_fls_bmnb.asp

or http://tinyurl.com/auoz4

Windows XP Pro does 1.02, 1.50, 2.0, and 2.01
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_ipge.asp

or http://tinyurl.com/53l6l

Maybe try a Win XP Pro PC and see if you can read it there?

HTH,

Charles Wilt