We use TSM to backup all of our PC clients and servers.  The help desk
people use it continuously to restore various files that the users need on
their PC's.  And most of our help desk people are not iSeries savvy - they
love TSM.  Lots of people are running TSM on a plethora of platforms.  Try
subscribing to the list supported at marist.edu and it will make
midrange-l look dead by comparison.

The old version of TSM, known as ADSM, allowed you to use libraries.  The
new version of TSM uses IFS.  No big shakes to me either way.  I'm just
telling you that to show you how much i5 dasd it sells here alone.  (And
we're adding 4 new 70gb drives today for it.)

PRTDSKINF RPTTYPE(*SYS)
Total disk space on system in 1,000,000
  bytes  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :   3598813
                                                % of         Size in
Description                                     Disk     1,000,000 bytes
User libraries                                 26.90          967930.50
User directories                               61.90         2227596.99
Folders and documents                            .03            1051.29
QSYS                                             .17            5977.51
Other IBM libraries                              .63           22715.78
Licensed Internal Code                           .10            3663.52
Temporary space                                 1.00           35985.53
Unused space                                    9.12          328387.17
System internal objects                          .12            4485.98
Objects not in a library                         .00                .00
TOTAL                                          99.97         3597794.27

Out of "User libraries", which is where you think of "traditional"
applications,
PRTDSKINF RPTTYPE(*LIB)
                             % of          Size in
Library      Owner           Disk        1000 bytes
PCBACKUP     CHRIS          16.34       587979411.5
where PCBACKUP is the library we set up for ADSM.  That's 588GB.
Hell, our payroll library (which is bigger than any of our individual BPCS
libraries) is only a measly:
                             % of          Size in
Library      Owner           Disk        1000 bytes
MGR1499099   SYSGENPGMR       .42        15220419.6
Notice, that is POINT 42%?

ADSM is being phased out for the newer TSM.  We are migrating clients and
servers to TSM.  Which stores it's data in
/QOpenSys/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin
Which is part of "User directories", takes up 1,256,282,985,164 bytes
(1.3TB), or 35% of total disk space, or 56% of "User Directories".

We also have a rackmounted 3582-L23 tape with two drives fiber attached
via an IBM 2109 fiber switch to a couple of 5704 cards dedicated to TSM.

We also have two 3581-H17 tape drives dedicated to backing up the data
used by ADSM.

And IBM is trying to tell me that I would be better served to run that on
someone else's hardware?