midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   7. RE: telnet exit points (brian)
>
>On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Shannon ODonnell wrote:
>> I'm not following what it is you want to do.  If they don't see a sign on,
>> how will you even know what user profile is attempting to sign on?
>
>Maybe I want to drop them based on their IP, or time of day, or some other
>consideration, and don't want to give them a chance to play around with my
>signon screen. Looks to me like IBM overlooked something fairly major.

Brian:

I know you got this essentially worked out, but I've been too busy for a timely
response and I wanted to get some comments in for the archive at least. Maybe
others will also add more.

There are two "signons" involved. The first is a signon to the telnet server
application; this is effectively unrelated to any signon green-screen. The
second is the signon to the interactive session; this is the green-screen
signon display and is effectively unrelated to any telnet server signon that
might have happened.

The signon to the telnet server happens after the connection is established and
before any device gets associated with the job. This signon is a big part of
what the differences are between TN5250 and TN5250E. It's also a big part of
how "Bypass signon" works for iSeries Access emulator sessions -- if all goes
well, you won't see the green-screen signon display. The signon to the telnet
server helps to determine whether or not a green-screen signon display is shown
as well as whether or not the session is even allowed. Often, the telnet server
signon is done using the values entered when the iSeries Access signon window
is displayed on the PC.

The green-screen signon is more or less outside of the telnet server. It's a
part of the interactive job and happens for direct-attach, passthru or telnet
(assuming no "bypass signon"). That is, it's a separate and distinct signon.

You would want to distinguish between the two signons if you were writing
telnet exit programs. The signon info that is passed to the exit program is
info from the signon to the telnet server application -- not from the
green-screen display.

The two can be different. One can be thought of as the signon for the
connection; the other is the signon for the interactive job. If you signoff the
interactive job and get back to the green-screen signon display, you can signon
as a different user. The 'connection' wouldn't change and the initial userid
would be associated with it. But the interactive job would then show a
different job user.

Tom Liotta