We lost the backplane/FSP in our 550 last Sunday over Labor Day weekend.
We had IPL'd one partition and the partition never came back.

Operators paged me and when I got to the computer room (3am failures are
just so much fun!) I found the 550 showing B181 7201 and flashing to a
screen with F and all zeros.  Contacted IBM and they said the backplane
needed replacing.  Several hours later we had the part and replaced it.
Then we had a hell of a time getting the HMC to talk with the new FSP,
but when it did, the i5 550 was reporting it was a p Series model 720
(Open Power Linux box).  If I wasn't so tired, I might have found that
funny.  With the help of my Business Partner (George Lemen of Sirius
Computer Solutions - Thanks George!!) and several IBM Product Engineers,
we talked the 550 FSP out of that madness and convinced it to join the
world of the i5s.  After that we recovered the partition data and
flashed the FSP from i5/OS.  The whole recovery only took 17 hours (YES,
17 hours!!!!) from the time of the original call to my house.

BTW, we had just purchased and installed this i5 550 on August 14th, so
it's a new system.  I have no idea how old the replace backplane/FSP
was.  Our HMC's were purchased at the same time.

I don't know if my problem is related to Larry's story, but I thought
I'd share my misery from Labor Day weekend.  (:o)

Glenn

Glenn Birnbaum
Platform Technology Services, REI
253-395-8206