> From: Walden H. Leverich
>
> Now, you can have an HA setup w/SQLServer including the option for two
> servers running in lockstep w/eachother so there is truly zero
downtime.

And of course if you're upgrading that setup, you need to have TWO
backup machines so that you're still HA. And that's just hardware.  You
need FOUR licenses to SQL Server, right?  And if these are web
applications, you have to get Enterprise edition.  So that's around $80K
PER YEAR just for one application (unless you have a very limited access
and can get away with CALs--a 10-user intranet application might only
run you $10K).

That can't be right!  Say it ain't so, Walden!

Especially in Walden's mythical model where each application is
self-contained on a single box.  Because that means each box has its own
copy of SQL Server (which is doubled for HA).  So if you have, say, 10
little HA applications, then you're talking 20 servers, 2 upgrade
servers, and maybe $800K PER YEAR... just for database access.

Damn.  I can get one ginormous iSeries for that kind of money.

I mean TWO ginormous iSeries'... <g>

Joe

P.S. As a developer, for $800K a year I could get (tap, tap, add,
subtract, divide, click, enter) a really nice 16-way model 595 with
46,000 CPW and a couple of terabytes of disk, and still have half the
money left over.  That would include the operating system, all the
development tools, the database, and software maintenance.