Larry, I'm in Baton Rouge with a house full of refugees from New Orleans. The BellSouth central office in downtown New Orleans has been heavily damaged. Our data circuits to the entire lata are down. POTS is not functioning at all. Cell phones are also knocked out totally. Either the towers are down or the battery backups have long since been depleted. Lack of communications has been one of the main reasons for the many logistics and coordination horrors that you're seeing on tv.

Larry Bolhuis wrote:
All,

I'm sure that all of us know at least someone in Louisiana if not New Orleans specifically and I am no different. I have been attempting to contact one of my customers there from the very beginning to offer assistance. I have home/work/cell phones for several folks there but outside of one time where I got one of the guy's voice mail message I have not been able to get other than a busy signal. Their web and email are out. Given they are 100 ft from I-10 it's unlikely they have anything besides a dark wet building at this time.

If anyone has any brilliant ideas of how to contact anyone in that area, please let me know privately. I'm coming up empty.

 - Larry