  From: "Jones, John (US)"
  To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion"
  Subject: RE: Measuring network transmission times
  Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:44:44 -0500

  In general I agree. Back in the 'good old days' when we ran BPCS on a
  B50, we commonly had 19.2Kbps leased lines that supported upwards of
  50
  devices. Maybe 5 line/barcode printers, 20 PC Support devices, with
  the
  rest being dumb terminals. Very low-bandwidth; very efficient.

  Of course, that was SNA and we prioritized the 5250 over the print
  traffic, but overall, line speed was never an issue.

  802.11b is 11Mbps or about 600 times the bandwidth of that old 19.2
  line. 802.11g is 54Mbps; even faster. Heck, my Treo using cellular
  data averages 70-110Kbps or around 4 times faster and that's only
  supporting a single 5250 session.

  --
  John A. Jones, CISSP
  Americas Information Security Officer