> > I used to work for a consultant.  Their philosophy towards education
> > was that if they trained you it just made you more marketable and
> > you'd leave the company.</clip>

Hopefully this is not the norm. IBM has for many years required Business
Partners
to have certain certifications, forcing them to educate (and making a nice
business practice of selling education).
While the consultancy I worked with for 20 years did not give me "all" the
education
I wanted, we did rotate 2 of us to each Common, plus IBM classes, and
required
each consultant get the RPG Developer cert and a bonus for each cert after
that. We
never had the problem with people leaving after getting trained in areas.
Those not
interested in learning were considered "not team players", a detriment to
our
company image, and not in the best interest for our clients. In the end, we
had 100%
participation, including the owner.
jim