First, this conversation might better be served in Java400-L, but I'm
not going to argue if it stays here.

Second, please be precise in terminology.  Java is NOT a managed code
language.  "Managed code" is a Microsoft term specifically designed to
denote programs written to the CIL specification.  There are a number of
rigorous requirements that frankly most Microsoft languages don't meet
(hence managed and unmanaged VB, for instance).  Java doesn't meet any
of these requirements, even thought the JVM is an obvious precursor to
the CIL, so using the term "managed code" to describe Java is simply
wrong.

I won't get into the merits of Java display file I/O.  Since I think
Java is a bad language for business, I'm biased against the idea.  On
the other hand, Steve might have a point in that if Java were able to be
used for green screen programming, an additional segment of programmers
might try it.

Joe