I guess slower compared to most Windows servers I've used.  I realize
going through the Netserver may be slower, but when I have to deal
with alot of small files, it doesn't seem to be as fast.

Anyway, as far as the UDFS goes..  Any directory that is created in
off the root is going to be put in the system ASP, with the exception
of document folder (but those are a special case).  So, what a UDFS
does is create a mountable file system in another ASP.  The directory
that you mount it to is in the system ASP, but that can be empty.
For instance:
Currently
System ASP has /lotus/domino/prod/mailsrv/ blah /blah.. It has about
40GB of files here

Change to :
System ASP : /lotus
User ASP : /domino/prod/mailsrv/ blah/ blah

In the startup program :
MOUNT TYPE(*UDFS) MFS(/dev/qasp02/domino.udfs

It's different than an NFS because it's local.
I think it probably works similiar to the storage spaces that you
create with the Integrate Netfinity Card (I know, old school name..
Marketing can't change me).

m.

>>date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 07:14:26 -0500
from: rob@xxxxxxxxx
subject: Re: Domini on iSeries and UDFS

Slower compared to what?
- Yes I believe that IFS for NetServer than a dedicated wintel server.
Heck, I've moved data from NetServer to an IPCS card in the same
iSeries
and got better performance.

I've really naive on UDFS.  Is that a SAN solution, or some way of
piping
an IFS directory to another platform, such as a unix box?