> From: Walden H. Leverich
>
> >The other question is whether I want to essentially double my cost
> >from an $11,000 machine to a $22,000 machine (which means going from
> >$200/mo to $400/mo) to get the extra 500CPW and 1GB of RAM necessary
> for Portal.
>
> OK, I'm _honestly_ not trying to get into a PC vs. iSeries thing
here...
> Why do you need portal on iSeries? If it's to
learn/play/understand/etc.
> it, just load it on your PC (I'm sure it has the memory, if not it's a
> _lot_ less that 11K for a new PC) and play w/it there. You'll still
have
> the iSeries in the mix, just not for Portal itself.

No, really Walden, I appreciate your input.  Other than the actual load
testing on the iSeries, everything I need to do for Portal can be done
on a non-iSeries box, whether it's Windows or *nix.  I'll probably go
that route for at least the short term.

Joe

P.S. This is for the next version of PSC/400.  I just finished the $5000
PSC Express package (with a leasing option, it's about as cheap as you
can get without going to SourceForge), and now I'm going to create a
Portal version.