Sanjivji wrote:
> Since HMC resides on a Linux based PC ...is is red Hat Linux or Suse
> or some other version of Linux
> What has to be the Optimus config of the PC ?
> Can it also reside on Windows based PC also ?

Sanjivji, I'm not a Hardware Management Console guru which is why I've
deferred to some of the wiser people in this newsgroup who have given you
good advice on HMC's and remote consoles.
IBM does not provide you with HMC code which you can install on any PC you
like.  You must purchase an HMC from IBM.
We sell a rack-mounted or a desk-top HMC, but you should think of them as
sealed appliances.  They happen to run on Linux, not Windows.
I don't set the prices for HMCs or gather customer requirements, so I
don't want to invite feedback on those issues.  I think this newsgroup has
already provided plenty of feedback to IBM on likes and dislikes relative
to the HMC!
The more I work with an HMC the more I understand why IBM controls what
goes into it.  The HMC needs to be very secure and reliable as it
communicates with service processors within one or more of your production
systems.

You might look at http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/lpar/ and
click on "IBM eServer i5 and iSeries LPAR and HMC FAQs" or wade through
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v1r2s/en_US/index.htm for
much more detail.

Dan R.