We use Aldon's LMi product (aka ACMS).  We don't hold all changes for an
install all at the same time. I'm not sure what benefits you'd get at of doing
it that way.  Plus, there's always going to be some emergency.

> For those of you using a packaged change management system
> that manages
> all this for you, what is it and how long did it take to move
> into that
> environment and become productive with it?

The hard part with a CMS is getting it setup and configured.  Once that's done
the process should be automatic.  The only thing about a CMS that negatively
affects productivity is when something goes wrong and you have to look at the
reports to figure out what. Often, you might need to look at reports on both
systems.  In addition, sometimes some experience is required to understand the
problem.

When we installed ours we moved all development off the production system.
I've still got one guy that complains about the few seconds it takes for the
CMS to distribute changes from development to production. Since it sounds like
you currently do development on a second box, I'd say you'll see an immediate
increase in productivity due to the automatic distributions if nothing else.

HTH,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343