Following the recent discussions about who uses ILE, WDSC/RSE edtors and
why or why not, I feel compelled to share a past experience, which to me
is the single biggest reason to keep current with the technology:

In the early 90's I worked for a company managed by a stubborn old goat
who'd 'rather fight than switch'. It was a S/36 environment on AS/400.
Rather than learn and use the already paid for features of the box (simple
stuff like external file descriptions, program calls, batch subsytems for
batch jobs etc...), everytime performance went south (basically annually),
he went to the CFO and asked for more money to upgrade the hardware. CFO
agreed, saw performance improve (somewhat) and users were temporarily
satiated.

I often explained that what they were doing was akin to owning a corvette,
but always driving it in first gear. Rather than learning to shift gears
to make it go faster, and ride smoother, they were in effect overhauling
the engine (with a bigger engine) but still always driving in first gear.
I tried many times to explain that they needed to learn how to 'shift the
gears' so that they wouldn't have to spend more money overhauling the
engine, and thereby take advantage of 2nd, 3rd & 4th gears, which would
ultimately lead to using the product as it was designed to be used.

I think the fear of changing gears (to use ILE) exists in way too many
shops. They keep driving in first gear because it does get them where
they're going. But what they don't realize is that they're really driving
like my grandma.

If you are one of the grandma's then take the initiative, learn and use
ILE (two weeks with a bit of hand holding is enough to get started), and
don't ask for permission (it's easier to ask forgiveness that to get
permission). Make sure you can show the benefits of your effort. Start
simple by creating a sub-proc to do a simple edit that returns a y/n value
and show how it can be (re)used, instead of copying that same-old edit
subroutine into dozens of different programs you need for your new project
.

Then when the pointy haired guy asks why you're doing this, use the
thinking out of the box response (since all companies today like to hear
that their people are willing to think outside the box). And if you get
fired/reprimanded, tell HR you want it on your record that you were trying
to save the company money.

And if you don't know where to start, you already have just by reading
this mailing list.

Regards, Jerry

Gerald Kern
IBM Certified AS/400 RPG IV Developer & RPG IV Programmer
MIS Project Leader, Lotus Notes/Domino Administrator
The Toledo Clinic, Inc.
4235 Secor Road
Toledo, OH 43623-4299
Phone 419-479-5535
gkern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*****
This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and