To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: 06/07/2005 11:06AM
Subject: Re: Web Facing - A Browser Front with a 400 back? Sounds good?

Rick,

You could deploy iSeries Access for the Web on that machine. I tried it on
my 170 and got sub-minute response time.... :-))

There are software vendors out there who have been pushed by IBM to use
IBM's products to web face their applications. One of my customers there
in New York is in the midst of implementing just such a system. Guess
where the web-facing server resides? If you guessed not on an iSeries, you
get a prize. The performance of the application running on the iSeries
forced the vendor to use a middleware box. The end customer doesn't get
the source, so he can't make mods to his menus, and if the green screen
app changes, he has to wait until the vendor gets around to changing the
GUI side.

If you want all the bells and whistles with a minimal amount of hassle and
investment, you should think seriously about a product like Joe Pluta's,
or a product like Newlook (www.looksoftware.com)
--

Paul Nelson
Arbor Solutions, Inc.

CZE Midrange
06/07/2005 09:23 AM
Please respond to Midrange Systems Technical Discussion