Twinax consoles are darned near indestructible.  Darned near.  However,
I have one foolproof technique: have a 15 month old pour a cup of coffee
into the keyboard.  What's intereting about this technique is the
delayed action nature of the destruction.  The keyboard SEEMED fine.
Then early this morning we had a transformer explode and knock out a few
square blocks.  After the transformer was replaced (about 4:30AM), I
went to reboot the computer.  Well, three tries with the standard user
profile disabled that one.  Thinking I was just fat-fingered, I went to
plan B, QSECOFR.  I fried that one as well.

This just didn't make sense.  It was early, sure, but to wipe out TWO
passwords?  Well, I did a little research, playing with the terminal,
and I located the problem: it was a delayed reaction to the coffee!  As
it turns out, the keyboard was shorted in such a way that hitting one
key typed a different one, and of course that keystroke was in both
passwords (but neither user profile name) so I didn't see it as I was
typing the wrong password over and over again.

Time for Plan C, the DST password.  After some searching, I located the
piece of paper with all the backup passwords (note to self: put copy in
safety deposit box to avoid those panicky thoughts of having to do a
SLIC reinstall).  A manual IPL allowed me to reset QSECOFR.  From there,
I reset the standard password and life was good.  I may come up with
some other workarounds just in case (such as a special user profile
whose only purpose is to reset another password), but at the same time
it's good to know that the only way into my machine, even with a valid
non-SECADM password, is through DST.

Anyway, the point of all this?  I need a new console.  I have a source
for used ones, but that source may or may not have another one when I
need one.  So I was wondering where you all go to get used twinax
terminals for consoles?  Or perhaps if anybody has some cheap ones for
sale?  I have gotten around the current problem, and changed passwords
to not have the broken keys.  I also have another keyboard (also
coffee-corroded) that I will attempt to repair.  But I'd like to get
around this.

It's funny.  I was worried when buying these things that the tubes would
burn out.  HAH!  The keyboards go long before the tube.

Joe