I don't think it defeats the purpose for a security officer or
administrator.  Ever use a web site with a password?  Now, figure you're a
nation wide bank with 2 million customers.  Now how many Pakistanis would
you have to employ just to reset user's passwords?  And wouldn't they ask
the same sort of questions that a good program could ask?  Mother's maiden
name or some such thing.  That's the purpose of a good challenge question
system.

We've analyzed our help desk calls for our internal users.  A vast bulk of
the calls fit two categories:  Resetting printer writers, and, resetting
passwords.  We've tackled the first and now it's time to move on to the
second.  We were looking at adding another help desk person.  Sad to see
this not happen.  Gal we had in mind lives about two miles away and is
dying to get back in to programming after her layoff from another company.
 With the economy the way it is, this looked like the best way to sneak
another person in.  Start her out at the help desk and move her into
programming.