From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeff Crosby
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 1:47 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: BRMS holiday experience

> When you run your backup processing
> .... at what point do you run STRMNTBRM, which sets up the
> media to expire.
> .... possibly TUE001 was not set to expired and it took the
> last expired ....... which would be MON001.
> .... We have STRMNTBRM to run from the scheduler ...
> ....... *MON  *TUE  *WED  *THU  *FRI  *SUN .... So when
> Tuesday comes ... it would be expired .... Some of this also
> depends on the # of days you set for expiration ...... we set
> ours at 12

I think you may have hit on something here.

Maintenance runs daily (7 days a week) at 2pm.  *BUT* that job scheduler job
is set to not run on holidays, so it did _not_ run on Monday.  Retention
policy for us is 13 days.  Therefore TUE001 was not expired yet at 4am today
because maint isn't run until 2pm.  I guess there are a few ways around this
including 1) have maint run on holidays, 2) set retention to 12 days, or 3)
have maint run at, say, 1am or anytime before the first backup will fire.

Any thoughts on which is preferable?

Thanks!