From: Larry Bolhuis [mailto:lbolhuis@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 7:59 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Expand memory in a 170

The older generation of 170's, of which yours is one, will NOT support the 256MB DIMMs. Yes I have tried this and while no damage was caused or magic smoke lost, the system simply ignores those slots. You can cram the thing full of 128MB DIMMs for a total of 1GB storage. While this is above the posted 832MB max for the system it will work fine. You are replacing the base 64MB with 256MB to get to the 1G size.