Rob,

You are correct that firmware updates to the FSP are
disruptive to the partitions - although I have been
told, "Watch this space" for changes in that arena.
But the HMC which is the point that facilitates
resource movement, partition creation/deletion, etc
can be updated, re-booted and generally maintained
without affecting the partitions.
One of the major reasons for having a skinny primary
is so that no applications or production work occurs
in it, providing less chance of a problem occuring
that will bring down the partition and any
secondaries.

>From a cost perspective, I have to disagree with you.
Our typical primary consisted of
1 RAID card - $7200
4 x 4319 dasd units - $3000
2 x 2838 LAN cards, 1 x network, 1 x LAN console -
$800
I am already over 10K, and that is without factoring
in the cost of a partial processor, half a GB of
memory, some sort of tape card to back the thing up,
plus I need to get another CD drive as the primary
wants to keep the CD drive in the CEC all to itself.
I also have to supply a PC to act as the console,
along with a copy of Windows, plus Anti-virus
software, plus, plus, plus.
My HMC cost $3,800 for rack mount, or if I want to be
cheap and get desktop, its only $1,800.

Even with one i5, I still think it is a bargain.

Note: All prices quoted are list prices :)

Regards

Pat.

Patricia Garrity
Garrity Systems