The ability to connect to DB2 on a PC (or other platform) is part of every iSeries. WRKRDBDIRE is the place to maintain this stuff. DRDA is the mechanism and, although no other DB vendor has provided a driver for it, IBM has for its DB2.

Once you have an entry for the DB2 remote system, the CONNECT TO... gets you there. Then any SQL statements, embedded or otherwise, go to that system and return the data to your RPG as if the data were local.

This is what IBM does with their Information Integrator (is that the name), which is a middleware piece running on a PC that is reachable through DRDA. It uses ODBC or OLE/DB itself (probably) to talk to other kinds of RDBMS'. But it's a lot more expensive than our product. ;-) From a C-Net article of May, 2003, announcing the release, DB2 Information Integrator costs $20,000 for a server license and $15,000 per data source to which an application connects. Maybe it's got cheaper by now - you think? And Oracle has a module they will sell you ($25,000?) that lets the iSeries talk to an Oracle DB

As to why would you want to connect to another RDBMS? The Mt. Everest answer works for me. The iSeries is no longer the only back-end DB server, much as we might want it to be. I know of instrument collection systems that use a custom version of SQL Server. Using a product like our RPG2SQL or IBM's Info Integrator or JDBC lets you say, "Sure, we can do that, no sweat." No more jumping through CSV/IFS/Excel hoops or sitting inside the iSeries fortress, wishing you could see what's outside the walls.

If you say that you cannot get to the data on other systems from the iSeries, guess where your company will go - away!

HTH
Vern

At 04:45 PM 5/20/2005, you wrote:

Yeah...I do it all the time...CONNECT TO...