From: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Date: 05/04/05 17:37:25
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: Normalization was Left AS/400 and Returned

> From: James Rich
>
> > Would you store the data one flag per warehouse/date, with the
warehouse
> > and date as the keys to the file, or would you store the information
in
> > an array, perhaps by year or by some other arbitrary unit of time?
>
> Neither.  I'd find out what the rules are for when it is open/closed
and
> code those rules.  No file/table needed.  In fact, I've already done
this.

There are no hard and fast rules, James, that's the point of a
maintainable file.  Some warehouses are open 24/7.  Some are open based
on available labor, or on inventory movement.  Some are available M-F,
some Saturday.  Some are seasonal.  Some are not open on certain legal
holidays.  Some are open when the tide is high.  Which are open when is
subject to change on a monthly, weekly or even daily basis.

Coding every possible rule would be counterproductive, especially since
it could not handle the ad hoc changes.  A table could just as easily
summarize those rules.

Joe