 Brad, I agree with concerning the platform. No reason an AS/400 application
cannot have as good or better database design than any PC package. The problem
is that they don't.

What really frosts my ass is that you have professional software companies
producing commercial software package for the AS/400 and they have no idea how
to create normalized data bases and use them. I can understand when you have a
shop with a group of programmers and they have not been trained in database
design but how the hell does a professional software company produce software
based on unnormalized databases? Why would management allow such a thing?

I have worked for commercial software companies and small shops and my
experience was that about the only way you could get people to consider
normalized databases was to throw a hand grenade in and go into with assault
guns blazing and even then it was hand to hand in the trenches.

Just too much of a hassle to bother. Just create the physical data base to look
like the logical view and worry about the consequences later.

I worked at company where I built a data warehouse based normalized tables. I
could produce any kind of report I wanted. It worked beautifully. I left the
company but came back to visit and talked to the new programmer they had hired.
He said he was working on the data warehouse and I asked him what he was doing.
He was demoralizing all the table to create one big table. "I don't how to do
those joins so I am just putting everything in one table". I heard a similar
statement at my company recently.

The thing that can drive you crazy is why companies cannot see the incredible
costs that they suffer from building the database incorrectly but you watch
companies just keep producing more and more junk.

O well, guess I have bitched enough for today.