James,

That's not exactly true. For did make an engine with a hemispherical
head/piston design. A version of the 427 Super Cobra Jet. But I don't think
they put it in a Mustang. Just the Torino. Maybe the LTD in the Police
Interceptor package.

Boy, I am a wealth of useless information.

I look at the iSeries like a Benz 600SL. Fast, Sexy, and really really
dependable. Unlike the Mustang.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark D. Walter
Senior Programmer/Analyst
CCX, Inc.
mwalter@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ccxinc.com

             James Rich
             <james@xxxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             04/28/2005 03:12                                      Subject
             PM                        RE: 64 bit Windows...

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Joe Pluta wrote:

> to a Walden Wuvs Windows (C) post <grin>.  But this is a REALLY bad
> analogy.  The iSeries is hardly a Model T.  It's a hemi-powered Mustang
> convertible.  We had the technology ten years ago, and we've made it
> work.

<non-serious mode on>
Well since there is no such thing as a hemi-powered mustang then the
iSeries must not exist :)  Hemi engines were in 'cudas, road runners, and
other plymouths (I hope I'm remembering this right - I wasn't alive back
then).  Putting a hemi engine in a mustang would probably be a pretty
difficult mod since I believe the engine mounts don't match up.

Even so, the iSeries probably isn't best compared to a souped-up mustang
anyway (fast and sexy).  I think a dump truck would match better.
Powerful, useful, carries a big load, and not too many people have one.  I
guess dump trucks are reliable, but if not then my comparison fails on
that point.  But the iSeries isn't particularly fast, and for sure isn't
sexy.  But that doesn't mean it isn't powerful.  That's why the comparison
with a dump truck is so good.  Diesel engines can be hugely powerful (well
over 1,000 horsepower in trains, ships, and mining trucks).  But diesel
engines also run at low RPM, usually below 4,000.  However, diesel engines
are also quite efficient, often resulting in a favorable savings on fuel
(analogous to total cost of ownership - another great analogy!).

Gasoline engines are totally different animals.  Their rev range (the
variation in RPM) is much greater than diesel engines.  Most gasoline
engines redline at around 6,500 RPM and self-destruct north of 9,000.
Most are not as efficient as diesel engines.  And while they can powerful,
it is extremely uncommon that they reach the max horsepower that diesel
engines can achieve (especially if you take reliability into
consideration).  Dragsters can get that kind of horsepower, but they have
to be rebuilt after each drag.  But gasoline powered cars are generally
much faster than their diesel powered counterparts.  They can't carry the
same load, however.  Most people have gasoline engines, so that analogy
fits in with it not being comparable with the iSeries.  A gas powered car
would probably smoke a diesel in a race (i.e. the iSeries isn't
extraordinarily fast) unless they were towing a big trailer (iSeries can
handle big loads).

So, iSeries is a dump truck.  OSX is mini cooper or Aston Martin or
Ferrari (so sexy - even the case is beautiful).  Windows is...  um...  old
and busted? no - a honda civic.  Everyone has one, but they aren't that
great (however, civic are quite reliable - I can't think of a car that
lots of people own that sucks as bad as windows does - maybe a suzuki
samuri?  unsafe, not really an off road car like it is advertised, and
annoying).

Now linux is more like a car dealership with a huge parts store.  You can
pretty much get whatever you want, but you may have to build some of it
yourself.  Good for me, because I can get a Ferrari (my favorite) at a
great price and you can get the sweetest dump truck ever to grace the
streets.  And if you can't find the part you need you can always make it
in your machine shop.

Well that was fun.  Off to build my Formula 1 engine...   :)

James Rich

It's not the software that's free; it's you.
             - billyskank on Groklaw