Just read this last night....good timing:

Creating and using sequences
A sequence is an object that allows you to generate values quickly and
easily. Sequences are similar to identity columns in that they both
generate unique values. However, sequences are independent objects from
a table. As such, they are not tied to a column and are accessed
separately. Additionally, they are not treated as any part of a
transaction's unit of work.

You create a sequence using the CREATE SEQUENCE statement. For an
example similar to the identity column example, create a sequence
ORDER_SEQ:
CREATE SEQUENCE ORDER_SEQ
START WITH 500
INCREMENT BY 1
MAXVALUE 1000
CYCLE
CACHE 24

From
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/ic2924/index.htm
Database
Programming
SQL Programming
Whats New for V5R3

David Smith
IT Consultant
------------------------------

message: 5
date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:36:38 -0500 (Central Standard Time)
from: "Booth Martin" <booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Unique identifer for keyed sequence

Isn't there a way now to define a field in a physical file as a
sequencing
field and not ever have to calculate/establish a sequence number for it,
just use it?

I was sure I had seen posts on here about it but I have searched the
archives with no luck.  Of course that may only mean my search is
faulty.

Booth Martin
http://www.martinvt.com