I seem to recall an unload/reload not resetting DST passwords.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Pete Helgren <Pete@xxxxxxxxxx>
04/26/2005 01:20 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Scratch install and Password

I started a scratch install of our "hand me down" 720 this morning and
while it is slowly re-initializing the DASD (only 63 minutes to go...) I
was reviewing (again) some of the FAQ's and steps to the process.
(Knowledge base and the Backup and Recovery Guide)  A few questions
occur to me that I couldn't find clear answers to:

I am assuming the passwords for QSECOFR and DST access get reset to
defaults, correct?  What would those default user id's and passwords
be.?  Looks like QSECOFR goes back to QSECOFR but the DST password is ?
(I saw references to 11111111,22222222, and a few other flavors.)

This will be a first in about 20 years of Midrange experience.  I have
never had to load from backup or even do a D M IPL before.  The systems
we have had in the past show up all nicely loaded and outside of
installing licensed programs and applying CUME's every once in a while
we don't throw the big switch until we retire the thing a few years
later.  That minimal maintenance is why we stick with the platform.
Unlike Windows that can push you into BIOS settings, BIOS firmware
upgrades, endless patches, subsequent blue screens of death, device
driver updates and so on that FORCE you to become hardware/firmware/OS
experts, I haven't had to deal with anything but LPP's and CUME's.  So I
am now involved in lower level stuff that I haven't had to even think
about before and I have a few basic questions:

What is the difference between DST and SST?  At some point I'll need to
start DST and add the disks to an ASP (s) (I think).  DST is referred to
quite a few times in the process so knowing when and how to use this
seems important, yet I see SST referred to on this list quite often.
What the difference?

After the LIC is installed, one set of scratch installations says push
the power button twice and you are done.  Well, I want to install the OS
from CD. So I put the first OS load CD in the drive and then still do a
D M IPL ?   Or am I back to a normal IPL and the AS/400 will be smart
enough to ask me to load the OS?

I guess you have to do this at least once in a iSeries lifetime just for
the experience of it....

Pete

list