Patrick,

You said that
>    Implied by the posting: OS400 will provide anyone who knows how to
>    talk to an LDAP server information about user profiles on the system.
Here is the actual quote from the posting:

"To conduct such a search, you need any valid AS/400 account.
The LDAP search ability is not dependant on any restrictions or
special permissions the user may have.
The search returns information about user profiles that are in the
same group like the account we use for the exploit, and this situation
is common enough in the legacy applications world."

Nothing implied, just straight facts.

Consider a typical BPCS installation. It has a few dozen to a few hundred
users, all belonging to the same group.
>From a security point of view, a shipping clerk with limited interactive
capabilities and no authority to WRKUSRPRF should not be able
to extract a list of the other users even if they belong to the same group.
The "Implementing AS/400 Security" book dedicates a couple of pages just for
a discussion of how to name user profiles so they are difficult to guess.
Knowing other users names is bad for system security.
Once the user names are known, LDAP can be used to conduct a dictionary
attack,
and LDAP has no exit programs to create automatic alerts upon invalid login
attempts.
LDAP provides yet another thing to worry about.

> I don't know much about the OS400 POP server. As far as I know, the OS400
> POP server is not used by a wide range of OS400 customers...

Then why is it shipped and turned on by default?
Because of the informative messages it provides, POP3 can be used for a
phonebook attack to guess at the user base.
Again - no exit programs are available.

Shalom Carmel
www.venera.com - Exposing iSeries insecurity