Is there a "native" text based interface?

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Trevor Perry" <tperry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
04/25/2005 08:56 AM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Green-screen versus browser

This whole approach seems rather negative to me. Maybe a different
approach
with a positive slant may be a better marketing/PR tool? I suggest
this....

Trevor

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The iSeries user interface design included the 5250 telnet green screen
interface. While this green screen method is still a leading interface on
iSeries, the acceptance of modern graphical user interfaces has caused the

green screen to become outdated.

There is no native iSeries graphical user interface, however, the
available
solutions are many and include thin client browser solutions to fat client

windows solutions.

The browser interface is gaining acceptance as a zero footprint, zero
installation interface for modern applications. It has an advantage in
that
a browser is shipped with every Windows operating system, and the ongoing
competition between browser manufacturers keeps this interface improving.

On the other side, the browser is primarily bloat-ware, requiring lots of
PC
resources, and producing mostly a very thin client interface lacking in
function and functionality. HTML is a TEXT language, designed to access
the
world wide web as opposed to being a graphical interface to modern
applications. From a traditional application perspective, migrating to a
browser generally involves a loss of functionality for the user.

IBM has offered various graphical user interfaces - most of which use
Websphere Application Server to deliver the user experience. Websphere
Application Server on the iSeries is in its infancy stages, and generally
iSeries customers find it requires heavy iSeries resource usage for a
significantly slower user response time.

There have been many successful third party applications to provide
graphical user interfaces for the iSeries to replace the green screen
interface, enhance the user experience and improve user productivity. The
best of these range from thin HTML clients with zero deployment to full
function Windows clients that can be automatically deployed with a smart
client to produce rich function and no iSeries performance impact.

The iSeries has the scalability, performance, robustness and reliability
allow a company to trust running their business with no downtime and
little
effort to maintain and backup their application server. With the correct
combination of graphical user interface front end tool to the iSeries as
the
back end server, companies can deliver their solid business applications
users in a timely manner, with increased functionality without impacting
the
performance of the users undertaking their business tasks.