> Kurt,
> You are correct to point out the ability to create and modify user
> profiles via LDAP.
>
> I also agree that there are more serious problems with AS/400 security.

That's not what I meant.  I meant that if this is actually an issue for
someone then they have other bigger security problems.  I hope that when you
say that there are serious problems with AS/400 security that you actually
mean there are serious problems with the way some people have implemented
security on their AS/400.

> However, I believe that an active LDAP server does create a security
> exposure.
>
> The LDAP server projected backend allows any AS/400 user to enumerate all
> user profiles he has access to, and to display details about this profile.
> That includes listing the group profile the user may belong to.
> Many AS400 applications use group profiles to manage access to the
> applicxation objects. Take BPCS for example. All BPCS users belong to the
> SSA group,
> and a BPCS user can retrieve the full list of all other BPCS users via
> LDAP, by querying the SSA profile.

Someone that is capable of installing and using an LDAP browser, and has
gone to the lengths to figure out how to log in to the projected backend, is
surely able to figure the companies naming convention; then all they need is
a company directory.  I have never used BPCS but in JD Edwards I would just
go look in the address book.

> All security experts recommend that acquiring a list of accounts on a
> server should not be made easy, because it opens some new attack vectors,
> like dictionary attacks and social engineering.

> On top of this, LDAP is not protected by the current iSeries security
> products, and telnet is.

What iSeries security products are you referring to?

> You can fully manage and audit the telnet connections to your server,

What do you mean by fully manage?  There is very little information provided
to a Telnet exit program.  All you can count on is Device name and IP
Address - user ID is only available if the user is trying to do
automatically sign-on.  The Telnet exit is only useful, from a security
standpoint, for logging and/or limiting connections by address.

> and while ldap has internal management and
> auditing capabilities, they are separated from the system auditing of from
> any other system log.

Actually the audit records are cut in QAUDJRN but I think the non-iSeries
way of logging in Directory Server is still available.  The projected
backend is implemented with commands and APIs and normal auditing for those
would still apply.

> Therefore, I recommend to turn LDAP off, unless there is business usage of
> it, and the sysadmin knows how to manage it.

>From what I'm told in V5R3 and later there are some system management
functions that will require the use of LDAP.  I'm not sure what all of them
are but EIM is one.

> Consider ldap as a chink in the as400 armor. It is not like the
> vulnerabilities that are periodically found on other platforms, the as400
> has more severe problems, but nonetheless it is a chink in the armor.

That explains a lot - 1) why they weight so damn much and 2) why they are
called bullet proof systems!