Kurt,
You are correct to point out the ability to create and modify user profiles via
LDAP.

I also agree that there are more serious problems with AS/400 security.

However, I believe that an active LDAP server does create a security exposure.

The LDAP server projected backend allows any AS/400 user to enumerate all user
profiles he has access to, and to display details about this profile.
That includes listing the group profile the user may belong to.
Many AS400 applications use group profiles to manage access to the applicxation
objects. Take BPCS for example. All BPCS users belong to the SSA group,
and a BPCS user can retrieve the full list of all other BPCS users via LDAP, by
querying the SSA profile.

All security experts recommend that acquiring a list of accounts on a server
should not be made easy, because it opens some new attack vectors, like
dictionary attacks and social engineering.

On top of this, LDAP is not protected by the current iSeries security products,
and telnet is. You can fully manage and audit the telnet connections to your
server, and while ldap has internal management and auditing capabilities, they
are separated from the system auditing of from any other system log.
Therefore, I recommend to turn LDAP off, unless there is business usage of it,
and the sysadmin knows how to manage it.

Consider ldap as a chink in the as400 armor. It is not like the vulnerabilities
that are periodically found on other platforms, the as400 has more severe
problems, but nonetheless it is a chink in the armor.

Shalom