Don't use a drive mapping.  Instead use the UNC pathname:
\\servername\sharename\foldername\...\docname.pdf

In your above example, you could share the REPORTS folder, so you could use
\\servername\REPORTS\ITDEPT\SALESRPT.PDF.

> And also requires that the user already be logged on to the Y
> drive (does
> not prompt for user id and password)

That's going to be a function of Windows.  You'd have to have iSeries user IDs
and passwords that match your Windows user ID and passwords.  Another option is
to implement Single Sign-on.

> I want to display these files from an iSeries application and
> give the user
> the option to view the pdf and excel files without starting a
> program on
> their PC

Not going to happen. "Something" is going to have to do the work on the client
PC.

> My questions are (bear with me if these are dumb questions, Running PC
> commands from the iSeries is new to me):
>
> 1) Is there another way to do this without a socket program?
>
> 2) I can create a share from the iSeries, can I map a drive from the
> iSeries?

Creating shares, use iSeries Navigator...look under "File Systems"
-->"Integrated File System" right click a folder and select Sharing.

Mapping drives, no.  The iSeries doesn't have any concept of Windows "drives".
But you can still use a Windows PC file share, via the UNC name through the
/QNTC file system.   For instance, to access a share named MYSHARE a windows
server named MYWINSVR, I use the following: /QNTC/MYWINSVR/MYSHARE/mydoc.doc

> 3) Can I check to see if a drive is mapped (from an iSeries
> using RPG or CL)

Check to see if a PC has a particular drive mapped?  Not without a custom
socket program.

> 4) The users may put their PDF and Excel files into different
> directories in
> the IFS, The program knows exactly where the PDF and Excel
> files are (has
> the complete IFS path name) I do not want to create a share
> of the IFS root,
> is there a better way to run the STRPCCMD to allow this
> (without making the
> user key in the directory path)
>
> Example I have a database with /REPORTS/ITDEPT/SALES.PDF in
> it, The easiest
> thing would be to have all users map drive Y to the root then
> the STRPCCMD
> at the beginning of this email would work for them all,
> however since I do
> not want the Y drive mapped to the root, I am looking for other
> possibilities. Has anyone done anything like this and if so
> how did you
> implement?

Should have already gotten the answer for this from my above comments.

HTH,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343