We have WebSphere Express V5 installed on a 170-2291 (with 1GB main
storage) and on an 810.  I don't usually run it on the 170 because of
the resource issues, but it will start in about 30 minutes and as Mark
said, once it's started it runs fine with little visible additional
impact.  On this same box with WAS V3.5 and with 256MB of main storage
it used to take about an hour and a half to start.  Now lets talk about
comparing apples to apples, WebSphere won't run very well on a six year
old Wintel Server with 256MB of memory either.  Any company that is
serious about a (production) WAS environment shouldn't be considering
running it on a 170.

Yes, there is a learning curve, and if you are an iSeries Administrator
type you'll have to do some work to pick it all up.  But if you don't do
it there is a Windows or Linux or Java guy in your shop who will.  Then
your job will be maintaining your "legacy applications" until everything
gets converted.

We are currently running WAS Express V5.1 on our 810 (4GB main Storage)
and it starts in about 3 minutes.  All we currently run on it is iSeries
Nav for Wireless (formerly Management Central Pervasive) but it runs
fine.  I also installed the Telephone Directory application and verified
that it ran.  I have not yet tried to install any of our in-house WAS
apps on WAS Express.

We run all of our corporate web apps on WAS V5.1 on Linux.  Whenever I
overhear the infrastructure people talk about needing a new server I
mention that our iSeries has excess capacity...  My thought is that if
we ever do get around to moving a WAS app to the iSeries we'll probably
spring for the full blown version.

Regards,

Scott Ingvaldson
iSeries System Administrator