From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sun 4/3/2005 1:52 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Who Uses WebSphere Express?

Anybody got any info as to how well WAS Express will run on a Model
170-2291?

Paul Nelson
Arbor Solutions, Inc.
708-670-6978  Cell
pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx

"Joe Pluta" <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
04/03/2005 07:26 AM
Please respond to Midrange Systems Technical Discussion

        To:     "'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'"
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:

Thanks, Mark.  That's what I said as well.  This was a vendor of an
RPG-CGI product, and they're up in arms because I said JSP Model II is
architecturally superior to RPG-CGI.  That's not to say that there
aren't business cases where RPG-CGI makes sense, but from a pure
technology standpoint, JSP Model II wins.

The vendor in question insists that RPG-CGI is more scalable than JSP
Model II.  First he said WebSphere won't run on a model 270, and when I
burst his bubble on that, he started with the scalability issue.  He's
also got a user of his product in the forum, and that user already
impugned your statement, saying basically that you're just pitching
WebSphere because your product runs on it.  He says that "among normal
users, not ISVs of WebSphere Express products, WebSphere is a novelty".

In fact, it's been quite an attack on WebSphere in general, which is
exactly what I predicted in my article.  There will be the 100% pure
Java faction and the 100% pure RPG faction, and between them they're
going to try to splinter the market.

But it's impossible to beat the flexibility of a merged architecture,
with a JSP Model II user interface talking to a RPG back end.  You can
go from 100% Pure Java and no RPG, to an extremely thin Java veneer and
nearly 100% RPG, depending on your business requirements.  And your
architecture can even shift with time as you acquire new skill sets.

But there will be diehards.  People who either drank the 100% Pure Java
Koolaid or who are completely Java-phobic.

Joe

> From: Mark Phippard
>
> To say WAS Express is not production-ready is libelous.  I did not see
the
> post, perhaps this person had some legitimate bad experiences.  That
does
> not mean the product is not top notch.

list