The V=F is the speed of the IPL, usually not used unless your CE is
there or you do a serious hardware install, as far as I know.

The T can be T or P and it shows which side of the SERVER microcode (FSP
code) which the system is booting to (temp or perm, just like A and B
for iSeries).  SupportLine is correct that the setting is important.  It
should *ALWAYS* be at T unless you have some sort of major issue with
the server microcode.  I am not aware of any reason to change it
otherwise and highly recommend against it.  Personally, I wouldn't touch
it unless IBM said so.

The main difference between a single-image system (twinax console, no
HMC) is that by default when you load a cume PTF package, the server
firmware is updated at the PWRDWNSYS, which is why a powerdown after a
cume with an updated microcode PTF (MHxxxxx) on a single-image box takes
30-45 minutes.

If you have an HMC-managed box, the standard setting in ASM is for the
server firmware (FSP) to be updated via code links from HMC, which is
why if you load a cume pack in an i5/OS partition you'll see "Server
firmware updates not allowed" or some such message on the DSPPTF of
5722999.  I'm not sure of the exact message text.

Additionally, setting the A/B/C/D and manual/normal bits is set in HMC
on a multi-partition system, whereas on a single-image box it's done via
the control panel.  Same goes for server firmware boot-side, although it
can also be changed in ASM on both a single-image and HMC-managed.

I'm going to recommend infocenter at
http://www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/infocenter, and go from there for
more details.

I'd add a link or two, but it seems to be impossible to link to
infocenter anymore!  =)

Justin C. Haase - iSeries System Administrator
IBM Certified Systems Expert - eServer i5
Kingland Systems Corporation
email - justin.haase@xxxxxxxxxxxx