You're missing something.....you still have to tell the applications, in this
case QM, to use the printer file.  By default, QM uses a printer file named
QPQXPRTF.  To have the application use the settings from a different printer
file when it creates output you have to use the OVRPRTF command.

The appropriate printer file settings must be "active" before you start QM, or
at least before QM opens the file for output.

So you either use OVRPRTF to change the settings of QPQXPRTF or you use OVRPRTF
to point QM to a different printer file before starting QM.  If you wrapped the
IBM commands, your commands could take the appropriate page size parameters and
perform the OVRPRTF before calling the IBM commands.

Make sense?

Now, one other idea. If you were to change QPQXPRTF to use a 13.2" x 11" page
size.  You could set up two output printer devices, one normal and one that
ignored COR & RTT.  Normal behavior, when printing a 13.2 x 11 to an HP
letter-size is to rotate and reduce the font size so that the printing fits on
the page in landscape.  By ignoring COR & RTT, it would truncate everything
after 80 chars.  So you'd see 8.5" x 11" in portrait on the paper.  This idea
is rather limited in comparision to what you'd like and what you can do with
OVRPRTF; but it might be useful.

Charles