When I perform the same command to our development Unix box, the system
generates the QSYSPRT spool file in FIN status.  Therefore the contents
cannot be displayed and the message "File QSYSPRT number 1 no longer in the
system." is shown.

Is it possible that the spooled file has already been printed? That's kinda what it sounds like. I don't know why the server you're connecting to would have an effect on whether it prints or not, though.

The iSeries, and specifically the RUNRMTCMD is the only implementation of rexec that I'm aware of (anywhere!) where the output from RUNRMTCMD gets queued to a printer. For sure, the Unix side of things doesn't know that there's a printer involved -- it's just sending back output from the commands over the network to the requesting program...

Anyone ever run across this before??  I am trying to rule out any issues on
the AS/400.   I assume there is some difference between our development and
production Unix servers which is causing the problem.

I suppose it might be an indication that an error has occurred, and no data has been written to the spool at all. That might explain why a different Unix server would matter... But I'd expect that you'd be getting errors in the job log or even on the screen if that was the case.

You might try accessing this rexec server interactively from QShell using it's rexec command... That would probably give you a better idea of what's going wrong.

Or, if you're a geek like me who likes to write code, you might try the rexec() API. That'll almost certainly give you more information than the RUNRMTCMD command does.