The only reasons (that I know of off the top of my head ;-) for a spool file to
be in FIN.

1) The spool file was opened, but nothing was written
2) The spool file was printed (with SAVE(*NO))
3) The spool file was deleted

Does the RUNRMTCMD actually kick off something on the development box?

I'd take a look at the rexec daemon on the development UNIX box.  It might be
setup to run the command "detached".  In other words, the rexec daemon starts a
separate process for the command, thus the feedback you'd normally get in the
spool file isn't there.  In the rexec daemon supplied with iSeries access for
Windows, you have the following options:

Normal Mode:

In normal mode, the console window owned by CWBRXD will be used if the command
requires use of a console window. Normal mode also means that the new process
the command is run in will be a "child process" of the CWBRXD process, which
allows the command output to be captured and sent back to the user who sent the
command.

New Console Mode:

In new console mode, the command is run in its own console window rather than
in the console window owned by CWBRXD. As in normal mode, the new process is
run as a "child process" of the CWBRXD process, which allows the command output
to be captured and sent back to the user who sent the command. The new console
window created may appear on the desktop, and it may take a little longer to
run the command because the new console window must be created first.  However,
interactive console applications, when run in their own console window, do not
keep subsequent commands from running as they might do if running in normal
mode (i.e. in the console window owned by CWBRXD). An example of such a console
application is edit.com, a text editor that comes with Windows.

Detached Mode:

In detached mode, the command is run in its own console window rather than in
the console window owned by CWBRXD, but it is also detached from the CWBRXD
process. Because of this, the command's output, if the command is an executable
program, often cannot be captured and sent back to the user who sent the
command. Rather than seeing the command's output, the sender of the command
might see a message stating the command produced none. If the output is not
returned to the command sender, it is more difficult to determine if the
command ran as expected. However, some applications will not run correctly or
at all unless run detached from the CWBRXD process, so this mode may be
necessary. One such example is xcopy.exe, which may not work unless run in
detached mode.

The detached mode is what I'm thinking might be your problem.

HTH,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343