> From: Paul Morgan
>
> Joe,
>
> IMHO DB2 is and isn't a relational database.
>
> If you access the database using RPG you're using DB2 as a flat-file
> system. RPG access to the data violates many of Codd's rules (Five,
> Seven & Eight at least).

I think you're misconstruing a MAJOR point here.  Codd did NOT say that
you couldn't use any other access method.  In fact, he never mentioned
SQL (I think I've said this three or four times now).  He said that
there must be a language in which you can do all those things, and in
every major RDBMS that language is SQL.  Since DB2 supports ANSI SQL
fully, it fits that condition.  But part of rule five states: "A
relational system may support several languages..."

The fact that RPG doesn't follow the rules does NOT make DB2 a
non-relational database.  Is that clear?

The only issue about other databases is whether RPG subverts the RDBMS
constraints.  That's Rule 12, and as Rob pointed out, RPG doesn't break
that rule either.  RPG will get quite testy if you try to perform an
operation that circumvents the database.

Joe