True, and I said that in my earlier reply.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Al Barsa <barsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
03/04/2005 04:17 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Logical File or OPNQRYF or any other way ?

But if you always know the keys for the file, and underlying LF would
certainly help run time performance.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.as400connection.com

             rob@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:
             midrange-l-bounce                                          To

             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            Midrange Systems Technical
                                       Discussion
                                       <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             03/04/2005 12:06                                           cc

             PM
                                                                   Subject

                                       Re: Logical File or OPNQRYF or
             Please respond to         anyother way ?
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

The imbedded SQL got better in V5R3.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Ken Sims <mdrg5003@xxxxxxxxx>
03/04/2005 11:36 AM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: Logical File or OPNQRYF or anyother way ?

Hi Malini -

>I have a physical file which has millions of records, and this physical
>file gets updated quite frequently by various programs in the
application.

>I have to develop 2 programs pertaining to an enhancement request.
>
>Program 1
>
>Needs to read the file selectively based on two fields of the physical
>file , perform calculations on the selected records and update them.
There
>is no existing logical file on the physical with these 2 fields as a key
>
>Program 2
>
>Needs to read (only)the file selectively. File is opened in input mode
only.

>Which is the more efficient method in each case - creating a logical file

>with the 2 fields as key or using an openquery with select on the 2
fields
>before each program is called. Any other efficient way ?

The most efficient way is to have a logical file.

If either of the programs is interactive, or if either program is going to

be run frequently, definitely make a logical file.

If both are going to run in batch and not very often (like a month-end
program), then an OPNQRYF with record selection would probably be
acceptable.

>Also :- What are the scenarios where a logical file is preferred over an
>open query file and vice-versa ?

My response above pretty covers that.  Additionally, even for an
infrequent
batch program, if you need to do keyed operations (rather than just
processing all of the selected records sequentially), the logical file is
better.  In that case the logical file could be MAINT(*REBLD) so that the
access path would be built when the file is opened.

SQL is also an option for batch programs, but personally I find SQL to be
real PITA for many reasons, not the least of which is the poor integration

of SQL into the RPG compilers (not the fault of the compiler folks).

--
Ken
http://www.ke9nr.net/

list